Monday, July 20, 2009

Earthborn Pottery


Through a random coarse of events, I ended up being introduced to an incredible Birmingham artist a couple of weeks ago. I had noticed Cahaba Clayworks on a recent drive through Leeds, and then I was able to meet Tena Payne of Earthborn Pottery who owns part of the Cahaba Clayworks studio. It is a massive building out in Leeds, Al where several potters have studio space. I fell in love with Tena's work after seeing her website and then getting to see some of her work in person. It is so, well, earthy... I love the heavy feel of it and the rough edges... Tena was very generous and gave me a small plate that I have been using as my utensil holder on my stovetop. It's a welcome addition to my kitchen. If you have a chance, check out the earthborn pottery website or better yet check out the studio. They offer pottery classes periodically - I think a new one is starting this week. I always love finding local artists whose work I admire.

1 comment:

  1. I took a pottery class out at Cahaba Clayworks with Larry Allen. He's amazing; me, not so much. But my husband enjoys throwing and I'm glad for that. The piece you have pictured above is lovely!

    ReplyDelete