Thursday, July 2, 2009

framing a child's artwork



After seeing so many of the little gems of artwork that came from art camp last week, I wanted to post about some easy and inexpensive ways of framing those pieces. I know that when I've finally finished a painting, there's this feeling that I get when I see it framed. It somehow feels more complete, even important. And i think that children need to know that what they have created is important.

I'm using two of the things that my son created at camp last week in these examples. The first is a charcoal drawing. What you'll notice with both of these projects is that i have had to do some major cropping before i start the framing process. Children tend to draw and paint in the middle of the page. No matter how large or small the paper is, they tend to leave a lot of white paper around the edges. Children also like to write their names BIG on the front of their paintings and drawings. You will notice that I have to crop Cole's name out of the first drawing.







I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up an 8x10 matte board that was already cut for a picture and a ready made frame. I placed the drawing in the middle of the matte opening and situated it just how I wanted it and then placed a small piece of tape on the top of the drawing to secure it to the matte. Then all I had to do was place the matted drawing inside the frame. One thing to be aware of with the easel backed ready made frames is that sometimes the easel can cause the frame to stand out from the wall when it is hung, but these are easily removed from the back of the frame, which will allow the frame to lay nicely against the wall.

The next framing project is of a watercolor cat also done by my son Cole at art camp.

I purchased some large 20"x25" charcoal paper from Hobby Lobby, located in the art supply section of the store. It comes in lots of great colors. I chose a bright blue... I also purchased a 12"x15" plain black ready made frame and used the picture from the frame to cut my fake matte from the charcoal paper. Here's how:

I took the picture insert (the one with girl and woman with matching striped hats!) and used it to cut a piece of the blue paper the same size as the inside of the frame.

I then cut the boarder off of the picture insert and used it to trace inside the blue paper, making sure that i am lining the picture up in the middle of the blue paper. This will be the template for my fake matte.

I then cut the inside of my fake matte out, and it is ready to place the painting inside.


Here's what the finished framed artwork looks like. (I had a hard time photographing this on the wall in the boys' room, so here it is on the den wall and then on the sofa with two other paintings i matted and framed to go with it.




I think they turned out pretty well, but the best compliment came from Cole. He did not want me to frame these... but when he saw them complete, he was excited to hang them on the wall! I purchased all the supplies I needed at Hobby Lobby, and all of the frames were half off this week, so I spent under $35 and framed four pieces of his artwork!

Happy framing!



1 comment: